Curated Playlist/Artistic Statement

Link to Playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLZi7usYx9ca90vzaa114eN-zEGTwhy_6C

Artist Statement:
  The theme of this playlist was video game music covers. As we talked about in class with our discussion of Mariachi Entertainment System, video game music can be a way for artists to attract listeners to different genres of music (in MES' case mariachi). The idea is that people will be more likely to listen to songs in a genre they aren't used to if they recognize the song being covered. With that in mind, I searched for covers in different genres to demonstrate how video game music is used to introduce people to lots of different styles of music. I personally believe these covers serve another purpose as well. In my experience, many people tend to unfairly regard video game music as a lesser type of music because of the medium it is used in. When this music is covered in a genre that people more readily recognize as music, such as jazz or metal, they're more likely to consider video game music "real" music. Thus video game music covers serve a dual role; they draw in listeners to different genres and legitimize the original song.

  I decided to use YouTube as the format for the playlist because many of the artists I found that covered video game music used YouTube as their main online platform. My playlist is divided up into four sections, one for each of the four video game songs I chose to represent. Each section starts out with the original song and is followed by two covers in two different genres. I considered for a while whether I should keep the original song in or remove it in favor of fitting in more covers, but I decided to leave it in because it provides context for those unfamiliar with the game or song being covered. I did my best not to use any musical genres twice so I could showcase as many styles as I could, but there were a couple repeats that I kept in. I'll go into more detail when it comes up.

  I chose to start out my playlist with "Theme A" from Tetris, partially because Tetris predates all the other games I chose and partially because I found it funny that "Theme A" is itself a cover of the Russian folk song "Korobeiniki." Because of how well known Tetris is, there were a plethora of covers to choose from. As a result, I chose a bluegrass and a hip hop cover of the song because I found that these styles were utilized less often to cover video game music. The next section was dedicated to "Aquatic Ruin Zone" from Sonic the Hedgehog 2. For this song, I found a jazz and a salsa cover. My third section was on the song "Clash on the Big Bridge" from Final Fantasy V, for which I chose a rock/metal cover and another jazz cover. In general, jazz seemed to be a very popular style to cover video game music in, and I liked both of the covers, so I chose to leave both covers in to represent this popularity. Finally, I closed out with "Green Greens" from Kirby's Dream Land. I chose a metal and a symphony cover for this song.


  Thank you all for reading/listening! This is my second to last graded post for World Music, but I will be putting up a link to my podcast along with a written project for the class soon, which is my final project in the class. See you then!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Analysis of Cab Calloway's "St. James Infirmary Blues" in Snow-White

Critical Reading Review 10

Critical Reading Review 4